Like What You're Reading? Become a fan :)

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Oman... A Different Gulf!

I cannot claim that I'm an expert on on the Gulf region, I haven't been to each and every country in the GCC but I assume I know a little something... But I am a sucker for the region. I lived in Saudi and people think I'm insane to claim I love it, but I do... it was home for a very long time and it's the only childhood I ever had and knew...

So the below, is not an attack on any country it's a bunch of observations in hopes of showing admiration to Oman! 



So, again... I was born and raised in Saudi Arabia, lived there for a good 18 years. Took a break back home and then I  recently moved to Dubai and have been living there since October 2012. I've also been briefly to Bahrain, and I have lots of friends in Kuwait and herd a lot about the country (but in all fairness have never been their for long).

Earlier this week I had a one day trip to Oman (Muscat), and although it is very short of a time to know about the country it was long enough to know that Oman stood out from the rest of the Gulf, or at least the countries where I have been.

For starters, I have to say its a beautiful country. Lots of nature and culture. And I can't say they controlled it but I have to salute them for preserving it. This is a country that doesn't care about building skyscrapers, why would they when they have beautiful mountains in every corner and the Gulf running through the entire city. I was told their buildings don't exceed 8 floors and coming from a place where people compete to build the tallest tower in the world, I have to say it was quite soothing seeing greenery and the sky, I kind of miss them! I think Omanis learned to appreciate the beauty of their country that makes them stand out.

I was also impressed by their active participation in the different sectors and working fields. I got out of the airport and received the shock of my life, I was riding in a cab where the driver was a local Gulfy. In my head I thought he must be an exception. And then the three cab drivers we rode with were Omani... I later learned that none-locals aren't even allowed to be cab drivers.  They believe during a taxi ride they are the best fitting people to educate passengers about Oman. They know their country better than anyone!! And I think that just triggered respect.

I then got to the hotel where the door man and bell men were locals. The music in the reception was played by an Omani. And in my head I thought... "Wow! This is a country that can sustain itself even if it's expats leave!" For a minute I was surprised, even felt awkward because in other countries in the Gulf, locals leave the perceived low end jobs for expats! But I realized... this is how the world works. I'm glad I've lived to see a self sustaining Gulf country!

The culture is also interesting. The way they dress and the pride they take in the different colors of the head turbans. I was also impressed by the building designs. They're not after the modern look... here in Dubai I barely see anything that looks Arab or represents the heritage, but in Oman, I've seen an HSBC with an arabesque design and I loved it. We are Arab and we have a look that makes us distinctive, so why not brag about it and educate the world on it... In the several conversations I have had with Omanis I have noticed that they pride themselves in their ethical standards and their manners... and I would say anyone could say that, but I honestly felt it.

Finally, I felt extremely welcomed! They were happy we were visiting, asked if we're coming back and hoped we stay longer next time... even asked how things were back home in Egypt by more than one person.They expressed their love for Egyptians and how we are welcomed here... and with all honesty... I was never more comfortable in conversation around a local Gulfy except there! 

I loved Oman, loved the nature, the culture, the people, the ethics... Would love to go back again, not for work, but for a holiday!! 

- I understand my observations may not be accurate due to my short stay, I also understand some observations about other Gulf countries may be stereotypical and I apologize for that. I hold A LOT of love and respect for these countries and people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment