Like What You're Reading? Become a fan :)

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Handling Money is Beyond My Capabilities...

So… I do a terrible job at handling my finances… seriously!

I don’t mind spending at all… I enjoy it… completely… I’m happy buying stuff, it's just where the money goes and what I buy is what's scaring me a lil'!

However, I gotta say that last month I thought let me take a shot at monitoring my expenses... I set up a fancy Excel sheet that would add up my expenses and help me know where I spend the bulk! Apparently there is no bulk!

I’ve always wanted to monitor my expenses. I thought that would make me spend less! It didn’t, it just made me feel bad! I spent a lot! Like shamefully a lot! But at least it helped me realize where all my money goes…

BINGO, I realized it goes over nothing! I spend a lot… and I couldn’t find a big bulky thingy that consumed my money! It’s all tiny bits and pieces of meaningless stuff.

The point is... Insignificant stuff are the stuff that make me happy! It is who I am! I like to treat myself every now and then with something... even if it’s just a new pen, something to hang up in my car, a pair of earrings, a scarf, a notebook, a music CD, candy… Simple stupid make me smile, they make my day...

But the point is… all these insignificant stuff add to up to a significant sum!

I dunno how to save… in three working years in my life I saved less than $3000. Lol! How embarrassing is that! Sadly, aside from the fact that salaries in Egypt stink, it just says how irresponsible I am!

I dunno how to have money and not spend it…

And that is idiotic…

I’m no Barby Girl or Princess (although that wouldn't be a bad change)… like seriously why spend so much! I would rather save up and buy something interesting… like a big valuable thingy… or do something good to mankind! Or I’d rather just save! Nothing wrong with that ever! LOL!

Money handling sucks! I suck at it! And I don’t think it’ll ever change! And I think this is serious problem (DUH)!

Suggestions on solving the problem are highly recommended and welcomed...LOL!

1 comment:

  1. Firstly I would say Madonna that I regard you as a very rich person, you a full of life, complexity and love. I am often reminded of the fact that those who have alot give little and those who have a little give alot.

    However, a tip.

    1. If you can find it in yourself to declutter your life, strip away all those things that require money to give you satisfaction and minimise them, and then think of the things that cost nothing and value them higher. Personally I can often find simply sitting quietly in a park reading and watching people gives me an immense amount of satisfaction and costs nothing. Try to find moments of pleasure like this that can replace the moments where retail therapy gives you the kick at the moment.

    2. Only carry a small amount of money with you. I found that when I worked in London I spent over 10 pounds per day on Coffee and bits and pieces - 200 pounds a month or 2000 Egyptian. Madness and we even had a kettle in the office, but I got seduced by the Starbucks fix.

    3. Try to create values in things that others do not attribute value to. For example an old pen says alot of positive things - it says you value it, it says you want to make sure you dont waste things but use them to the full, that you care about the environment and dont want to consume more than you need.

    4. Keeping a log of payment is a really good idea. For 8 years I used to account using Microsoft Money for every penny I spent. Through analysing it reguarly I found ways to replace some of my spending with more fruitful activities. Spend less on things that give momentary value and then you are able to spend on things that give you a longer term reward.

    5. At the end of the day the time I had the most satisfaction was in fact when I was momentary unemployed. It enabled me to focus on doing things that costed nothing. I had to spend time finding things in life where I could enjoy my time with the family and not end up picking up a massive bill. Walking in the Woods, taking the dog for a long walk in the fields, visiting free museums and art galleries , playing games.
    These were much more rewarding.

    6. Avoid Shopping Centres. Lots of people today see shopping as a past-time not a chore, they regard a day out at City Stars as entertainment, and these places are becoming the new Churches in the UK. Go out on a Sunday and they are full, and the churches are empty.

    Value what you have, I know you do. Love you Kevin

    ReplyDelete