Like What You're Reading? Become a fan :)

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Disconnect to Connect…


I’ve recently come across the following expression: “Disconnect to Connect”

First on it didn’t make much sense because I feel like I currently can’t live without being connected to:

My 600 something Facebook “friends”

My 200 something MSN contacts

My 80 something What App contacts

My 40 something BBM contacts

Skype, G-Talk, Hotmail, G-mail, Work e-mail, University e-mail, LinkedIn…


Not being digitally connected makes me feel isolated and frustrated… if I don’t have my BB I’m searching for the red light notification everywhere like a manic!

Yet in the same time, as much as I feel connected digitally, it doesn’t mean I’m as connected offline. I might know so much about the people I’m connected to online, but the truth is if I run into them in an offline social gathering I might not have that much to speak to them about… let alone we may pass by each other and be complete strangers!

Who we are online isn’t the same person we are offline… we act differently, we speak differently and interact differently…

Being socially connected online will never replace being social offline. I feel the more connected you are online, the less connected you are offline! It’s an inverse relationship.

So when I think about it… it isolates me more rather than connects! It messes up real and actual social relationships

For instance:

You wish your friends a Happy Birthday online rather than personally…

You talk on bbm / Whats App rather than call...

You create events and invite people electronically…

You chat rather than talk…

You announce BIG news like getting engaged, getting married or being pregnant through a post…

The list can go on…

Being able to talk online or to keep in touch through new technologies doesn’t mean people have real relationships, true friendships or intimacy… unfortunately sometimes!

I’m not denying how valuable technology and new digital networking are… but like anything else… it gives something… and takes away another!

Sometimes we just need to disconnect in order to really connect with one another! We need to unplug…

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Madonna. Although as I am remote from my family electronic means of communication are cheap and enable me to keep in touch with the small things in life that are part of the richness in life.

    I try to adopt a simple hierachy of communications which I try to follow

    1. If you can see someone face to face do it first

    2. If you cant - call them a voice is better than the written word as it expresses your feelings better.

    3. If you cant do 1 and 2 - Instant Message it is more interactive.

    4. If you cant do 1,2 or 3 - Post on Facebook or send an email.

    What always amazes me is that people will email each other in the same office when a conversation is much more effective.

    I am sorry to post this comment when I can talk to you about it. Love you

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yups... true! Good tips... i try doing that, but sometimes I still just go the easier way and post on FB (worried that I'd forget to call or so later), it's become a bad habit! Trying to work on it though...

    ReplyDelete