Like What You're Reading? Become a fan :)

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Where Do We Go From Here...


Yesterday after a very long day out, I finally got home...

Personally, like most people I would guess, I was looking forward to relaxing, a good cup of coffee and some cozy time watching TV...

So I walk in, sit with my mom and sister and do some catching up...

At around 11:30 pm we hear gunshots in our street... Right beneath our home! Gun shots flying randomly... 10-20 of them! Everyone in the neighborhood runs to their balconies to check what's happening... We find around 50-70 men with guns, knives and sticks bombarding 2 men because they were trying to steal a car (a newly and common trend now in Egypt since the thugs have gone lose since Jan 25).

So where do we go from here?

When did it become okay for civilians to carry weapons and starting firing once they feel threatened?

Surprisingly... After about 45 minutes  of a gang fight last night... Life resumed in the street as if nothing happened! As if chasing thugs and gun shots flying around have become the usual!

Actually it is the usual!

It has become so likely that you wake up to find your car missing! To come back to find your home robbed! Sometimes we're not there to protect ourselves and sometimes we're there and we try to resist and fight back! Even more you can be stopped with your car or while walking, have a gun or knife held to your head and the thug just asks you to give up all you've got on you! 

So basically it's kill OR get killed! 

Everyone now owns a gun or has some sort of weapon for self defense. Personally I never thought I'd need any sort of self defense in Egypt but now I carry pepper spray. True it won't do much... but at least would give me time to run for my life!

Civilians right now are tempted to take matters in their own hands! Protect themselves! And most probably decide the punishment for the wrong doer on their own! 

No can blame them for carrying around unliscenced guns or for killing someone when they feel threatened!

Our country has managed to turn its civilians into thugs! And you can't blame the people! After all you do what you have to do to keep safe and alive!

This is where we are and no one knows where we're going! 

I really have no clue! But something in me tells me we moving a downward slope!

2 comments: