Like What You're Reading? Become a fan :)

Friday, December 10, 2010

Family...


This entry is observational… not a generalization… using the word “we” doesn’t necessarily make it a rule… in fact it may only be applicable to me…

We’re sometimes at this age when we get drifted away from family because we care too much about our friends…

Pleasing them, making sure they aren’t upset, making sure we know all about them and they know all about us, making time for them, giving them our attention, involving them in every aspect of our life, willingly being there for them, making sure we listen to them…

And it makes me wonder… are our friends more important to us than our families?

Deep down inside, I’m sure each one’s answer to that question is: HELL NO!

I can’t deny they are both important and needed for a balanced life.

Our families mean a lot to us even if we sometimes loose track… even if they sometimes fall at the back of our heads.

And our friends are needed for our social being and development; for the fun side to our life, the chit chats, the gossip, the hang outs, the laughs, the inside jokes... and A LOT more (our friends need a separate post to give them what they deserve as well)...

They are both important and complementary… we can’t live without them and they’re both needed!

But... why do we like to make it seem like our friends matter more… why do we sometimes brag about our families not understanding us or that we don’t fit in… why is it so hard to show that we care or how much we love them!?

I’m not claiming I’m not doing this… or that I’m observing a trend that I don’t follow… in fact, I probably wrote about it ‘cause it applies to me more than anyone else :(

When I thought about it, the best answer I could come up with to these questions is that we sometimes take for granted the fact that our families are always there…

Sometimes I feel we need to give our families the attention that they deserve. Even if we feel it deep inside we need to show it more often so they know we care. We don’t have to wait till something happens so we realize we’ve been slacking off…

Our friends are important… BUT our families are who we are and why we’re here... Our friends are likely to come and go… true our families can and do come and go as well… but they’re likely the ones who won’t turn their backs on us, the ones we can count on at all times without hesitation, the ones we don’t mind being exposed in front of…

Our families are more likely the ones we have for keeps...

No comments:

Post a Comment